The Therapy for Black Girls Podcast is a weekly conversation with Dr. Joy Harden Bradford, a Licensed Psychologist in Atlanta, Georgia, about all things mental health, personal development, and all the small decisions we can make to become the best possible version of ourselves.
Dr. Donna Oriowo, M.Ed, MSW, CST is back to debrief on the season 4 finale of Insecure. This week, she and I chatted about what happened between Molly & Andrew, Tiffany’s struggles with postpartum depression and how we might support friends who are struggling, the giant reveal from Condola, what’s next for Issa & Lawrence, and what we might expect from Season 5.
- Dr. Joy Harden Bradford and Dr. Donna Oriowo discuss the relationship dynamics at play with Molly and Andrew in the opening sequence.
- Why context is everything.
- The hints Molly missed with Andrew and how the Issa/Molly Block Party fight altered the dynamic of their relationship.
- Postpartum Depression: Tiffany’s experience, how to tackle the shifting identity of motherhood, and handling the grief that sometimes comes with it.
- Ways to support your mom friend even when you’re not at that life stage yourself.
- Recognizing Postpartum symptoms (Also discussed in Session: 76)
- Diving into Derek’s conversation on the bus and they ways it mirrored Molly & Issa’s situation
- Why time heals all is a myth
- Unpacking Molly and Andrews breakup—reflecting on larger social constructs at play, including colorism and partnership as currency.
- Why “Unbothered” is an action and not a declaration.
- Making sense of what’s going on between Lawrence and Condola, including why it was important she tell Lawrence regardless of how much she wanted him involved.
- Predicting some of the implications we may see for Lawrence and his mental health.
- Dr. Joy Harden Bradford and Dr. Donna Oriowo define the concept of “Drama Bond” and how we see that in Issa and Molly’s relationship
- How we can make Friend therapy more of a thing.
Visit our Amazon Store for all the books mentioned on the podcast!
Support Our Sponsors
Check out HBO’s new show I May Destroy You at 9pm EST
Where to Find Dr. Oriowo
Grab a copy of the Relationship Goals worksheet
Grab a copy of Cocoa Butter & Hair Grease
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 159 of the podcast discussing Molly’s return to therapy.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 158 of the podcast discussing Issa & Lawrence’s relationship.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 155 of the podcast discussing Molly & Issa’s friendship.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 151 of the podcast discussing the Season 4 premiere of Insecure.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 60 of the podcast discussing colorism and texturism.
Session 92 of the podcast, Life with a Bipolar Disorder
If you’re looking for a therapist in your area, check out the directory at https://www.therapyforblackgirls.com/directory.
Take the info from the podcast to the next level by joining us in The Yellow Couch Collective, therapyforblackgirls.com/ycc
Grab your copy of our guided affirmation and other TBG Merch at therapyforblackgirls.com/shop.
If you have questions or would like to discuss podcast sponsorship, email us at email@example.com.
The hashtag for the podcast is #TBGinSession.
Make sure to follow us on social media: