The Therapy for Black Girls Podcast is a weekly conversation with Dr. Joy Harden Bradford, a Licensed Psychologist in Atlanta, Georgia, about all things mental health, personal development, and all the small decisions we can make to become the best possible version of ourselves.
Dr. Donna Oriowo, M.Ed, MSW, CST is back for another Insecure debrief this week! She and I chatted about what’s happening with Issa & Lawrence, the meet up between Molly & Issa, Molly finally going back to therapy, and our predictions for the season finale.
- Discussion about the opening sequence of Episode 9: Was it all a dream?
- Why the opening with Issa and Lawrence was a nearly perfect continuation of Insecure Episode 8.
- Molly is Back in Therapy: What Dr. Donna and Dr. Joy would do as her therapist.
- Reflecting on Brunch: What motivated the Brunch, how and why Molly and Issa fell into old patterns and never resolved their issues.
- Discussion about the ongoing critical conversations needed in interracial relationships. Will Molly and Andrew Last?
- Transparency: Unpacking the conversations with Nathan—from creating boundaries to disclosing mental health
- Why evaluating your support system is an important part of your mental health
- How nostalgia functions in relationships and how the game night highlighted the dynamics at play.
- Analyzing where Molly and Issa got off track in the first place.
- Why the ultimatum backfired and why testing behavior doesn’t work.
- Dr. Donna and Dr. Joy discuss the changes you go through personally and the challenges you face finding your voice in an old dynamic.
- How relationship skills are transferable and while you work on one relationship, you can work on others.
- What to do when the “Strong Friend” doesn’t know how to be vulnerable.
- How trust can be developed when it comes to asking for and receiving help.
- Shaking the identity of the strong friend
- Predictions for the coming episodes.
Visit our Amazon Store for all the books mentioned on the podcast!
Support Our Sponsors
Freedom At the Mat Youtube Channel
Where to Find Dr. Oriowo
Grab a copy of the Relationship Goals worksheet
Grab a copy of Cocoa Butter & Hair Grease
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 158 of the podcast discussing Issa & Lawrence’s relationship.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 155 of the podcast discussing Molly & Issa’s friendship.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 151 of the podcast discussing the Season 4 premiere of Insecure.
Listen to Dr. Oriowo here on Session 60 of the podcast discussing colorism and texturism.
Session 92 of the podcast, Life with a Bipolar Disorder
If you’re looking for a therapist in your area, check out the directory at https://www.therapyforblackgirls.com/directory.
Take the info from the podcast to the next level by joining us in The Yellow Couch Collective, therapyforblackgirls.com/ycc
Grab your copy of our guided affirmation and other TBG Merch at therapyforblackgirls.com/shop.
If you have questions or would like to discuss podcast sponsorship, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The hashtag for the podcast is #TBGinSession.
Make sure to follow us on social media: